Children's author, Poet, Scriptwriter
Website: http://www.evewhite.co.uk/authors/kate-scott/Contact: kate29scotthotmail.com
Tel: 01308 423 840 or 07758 743 747Awards:
Lancashire Fantastic Book Award for Spies in Disguise: Boy in Tights
Shortlisted for the North Somerset Teachers' Book Awards 2017 for Giant
Nominated for the Lancashire Fantastic Book Awards 2018 for Giant
Longlisted for the Shrewsbury Book Fest Big Book Award 2018 for Giant
Shortlisted for one other regional award (announced February 2018) for GiantAudiences:
Adults, 5-7 (Key stage 1), 8-11 (Key stage 2), 5-11 (Key stages 1 and 2), 11-13 (Key stage 3), 6th Form and college
'Fresh and funny . . . a book that celebrates friendship and the power of being true to yourself.' Frank Cottrell-Boyce on Giant
I am an experienced provider of highly interactive, inspiring and informative workshops and talks for primary-school children from Reception to Year 6. I am also happy to provide talks and workshops for six-form students about scriptwriting and fiction writing as a career.
I can provide creative writing and poetry workshops according to your particular school's needs or you can choose from the following options:
1. A fun (and funny!), highly energetic, and accessible-to-all-ages workshop based on comic-strip superheroes and villains. Building on the comic-strips which feature in my latest children’s book, Giant, children will be invited to create their own comic-strip characters and storylines – from the heroic to the hilarious! The themes of friendship, self-belief and self-acceptance are woven into the entertaining activities. (For children aged 7+)
2. A hugely entertaining and interactive workshop (including dressing up activities, spy codes and spy techniques!) centred around my comedy-adventure series Spies in Disguise, about a boy who has to go undercover as a girl. (For children aged 7--9 years)
3. An interactive and practical workshop about writing poetry -- a set of poems will have been produced by the group by the end of the session. Involves lots of playful but educational explorations of language. (All ages)
4. A workshop about television writing -- how does a story end up on the screen? Participants will write -- and perform -- short scenes and learn the basics of good storytelling in all mediums. (All ages)
5. A talk/workshop about the possibilities of writing for a living (TV and books). (Primarily for sixth-formers but can also cater for students in GCSE years)
6. For schools which are struggling for funding for author visits, I offer a Skype session after a class has read one of my books. During the call, the children can ask anything they like about the process of writing and I will also give them writing tips and some fun writing exercises (some of which can be carried out during the Skype session). Fees for this type of event are considerably lower than my in-person workshops. Please ask for details.
Alternatively I can put together a workshop on a theme of your choice. All workshops involve interactive elements and lots of fun!
Please contact me to discuss fees. Travel expenses will apply for schools at a distance from my home.
I offer a £50 discount to schools within forty miles of Bridport, Dorset.
"Perfectly pitched. Held the children's interest for the whole time. Literacy has never been such fun!"
Loders Primary School
"The children returned to the classroom buzzing with ideas and eager to put pen to paper."
Parrett & Axe Primary School
"What a delightful day for the children.The children were really engaged and keen to demonstrate their creativity during well structured and imaginative activities.'
Mark Gundry, Shute Primary School, Devon
"One child said, 'I want to be an author when I grow up.' another said, 'I love playing with words and ideas.' We have highly creative children in our school but you gave them a vehicle to express their creativity and ideas. Thank you so much and it would be great to work with you again sometime."
Clare Rinaldi, Head of School, Shute Primary, Devon
"Many thanks for a great visit! The children really enjoyed meeting you and hearing what you had to say."
Guy Maunder Taylor, St James' CEP School, Bermondsey, London
"I just wanted to say a big thank you for yesterday, and to let you know how much the children enjoyed your visit."
Helen Slater, Bourne Primary School, Ruislip
I have written more than 15 books including:
| ||Giant (isbn:978-1848125643)|
It's hard to measure up in a family with high expectations. But it's even harder when those people sometimes use you as an arm rest. And call you 'Peanut'.
View in Amazon
| ||Spies in Disguise: Boy in Tights (isbn:978-1848123496)|
Joe discovers his parents are spies and has to go under cover -- as a girl!
View in Amazon
| ||Spies in Disguise: Boy in a Tutu (isbn:978-1848123755)|
The second adventure in the Spies in Disguise series
View in Amazon
| ||Spies in Disguise: Boy in Heels (isbn:978-1848124172)|
The final installment of the Spies in Disguise series
View in Amazon
Other search criteria:Genres:
Humour, Poetry, Stage and Screen
Non fiction for children, Fiction for children (any age), Fiction 5-9, Fiction 8-13, Educational books
Skype, scriptwriting for children, script editing, fun, interactive, bespoke workshops, inspiring, fiction, non-fiction, comedy, drama, action, emotions, poetry